Saturday, October 2, 2010

Let Me In

This is a movie based off of a book which was made into a movie in Sweden. The book is very good and the movie was very good also. One of the few foreign movies I like. When I first heard about this remake, I was very angry. The original was just made and released into America about two years ago and they already had to Americanize it. Once I started seeing previews for it, I started to get a little hope for it, not much though. Then I read a couple interviews with the director and what he had to say about it, a little more intrigued. So I finally let in and gave it the shot, and I am not upset I did.
The story is a boy named Owen, he is a quiet, pale 12 year old who lives with his single over religious mother in an apartment complex in New Mexico. He gets picked on at school, he is smart and has no friends. That is until new neighbors move in, an older guy and a little girl. Owen starts to talk to this little and he ultimately learns her secret as to why she can't be outside in the sun and they become best friends, or a 12 year old couple.
For this movie being the second major film from director Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) I was very surprised. I did not think he could pull something this stylistic and well done off like he did. The movie is not a horror movie exactly, it is more of a thriller drama. From the previews one would think it was a scary movie, but no. I would describe as being how Twilight should be, show the vampires for how they really are, violent but can be humane, do not sparkle in the sun and no werewolves. It shows a Romeo and Juliet type love story between a boy and a girl who is a vampire. So for a vampire movie that is also a love story but keeps to the true vampire lore, then this is the movie for you. If you aren't into the vampire lore, give it a shot, you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment